Luce Scholars Program
The Luce Scholars Program provides stipends, language training, and individualized professional placement in Asia for 15-18 Luce Scholars each year, and welcomes applications from college seniors, graduate students, and young professionals in a variety of fields. The Luce Scholars Program stresses personal and work experience and consists of a one-year professional apprenticeship in Asia in order to increase awareness of Asia among future leaders in American society. The intent of the program is to provide an immersion experience in Asia for an outstanding group of young Americans who would not otherwise have the opportunity to come to know Asia intimately. Students interested in the Luce should contact Laura Perille.
- Applicants must be American citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants are ineligible if they have had significant prior exposure to East and Southeast Asia Studies. Applicants may not have spent more than 18 weeks since graduating high school in one or more countries where Luce Scholars are placed.
- Applicants should be seniors or recent alumni, but must not be older than 29 when the program begins.
Learn more about the application process on the Luce website and contact Dr. Laura Perille to join GOFAR’s Luce listserv. To be considered for internal nomination, the following materials must be submitted to GOFAR by the deadline, late September or early October 2020 (specific date to be determined):
- Online Application Form
- Academic transcripts for all institutions of higher education
- Four letters of recommendation
- A photo – simple head shot to facilitate in-person interviews
The University will nominate up to three candidates to the Henry Luce Foundation. The Luce Foundation interviews applicants, selecting 15-18 winners from a group of 45 finalists.
University Endorsement Deadline: Late September or early October 2020
External Fellowship Deadline: Late October 2020
For more information, contact GOFAR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn about other fellowships in Asia in the Asia Opportunity Guide.